WVMS Voice

The Student News Site of Welsh Valley Middle School

WVMS Voice

WVMS Voice

Pretty Privilege

When you think of pretty, what do you think of?
Pretty Privilege

When you think of pretty, what do you think of? I’m going to be straightforward and say that social media thinks of thin, white, young, and able bodies. Being pretty is pictured as having symmetrical faces and clear skin.

An article by Forbes wrote, “A 2022 study also found that if an individual is perceived to be less attractive and less intelligent-looking, they also seem less human to an onlooker. Specifically, less attractive women appeared less human.” In the article, it also references another study that showed how female student’s grades went up when they did in-person classes rather than online classes. Pretty privilege can harm women’s mental health as well because their figures or faces don’t align with beauty standards.

On the other hand, some women who are viewed as meeting beauty standards feel the pressure of needing to keep up with them. Another article from Glamour talks about how social media is one of the main reasons why “beauty standards” and “pretty privilege” exist. The article even wrote, “We’ve all seen the TikTok trends. We need symmetrical faces, plump lips, big eyes, fluttering lashes, long, luscious hair, and curves (but remember, only in the right places) while having a stomach as flat as a surfboard. And for those members of society who do exhibit some of these ‘ideals’, they have greater access to the benefits of so-called pretty privilege.” Examples of pretty privileges are receiving a free drink at a bar or even just having the door held open for you.

Sometimes people don’t realize the treatment different women are being given. “Pretty privilege” also places an advantage on employment or making new friends. “Pretty People” are recognized as smarter, funnier, and even healthier than other people. Many “pretty” women and men don’t even realize the privileges they get just because of their looks. Instead of upholding the tradition of pretty privilege and the way people perceive us, we should focus on self-love and confidence. We need to face reality and stop pretending “pretty privilege” isn’t real, because it is, and I fear it always will be.