WVMS Voice

The Student News Site of Welsh Valley Middle School

WVMS Voice

WVMS Voice

Is Extremely Hard Algebra Really Worth the Effort?

Learning advanced math/algebra in school isn’t going to help you in the future. Now, although this might sound crazy, It is evidently true provided by many substantial reasons and opinions. According to, Edweek.org, research shows that only a small proportion of workers—less than 5 percent—make extensive use of Algebra 2, trigonometry, calculus, or even geometry on the job, and it is considered as not an important aspect in their everyday lives. Math and basic algebra may be extremely helpful in planning out our days, but do we really need anything else other than the basics? Unless you’re planning on going into the field of math or science, I truly don’t think it’s necessary.

Why feel that amount of pressure for learning math if you aren’t even going to use it in the future? Only 1.4% people go into the field of math, so why waste all of that time and energy on it? According to The Boiling Point, studies show that about 69% of students feel math is their most stressful subject, and that it makes them anxious. Also, why put in all this work for students to struggle with this kind of math, when percentages are extremely low for interest in these occupations?

“Math is tough and typically takes much discipline and perseverance to succeed in. It also calls for a cumulative learning approach – you need to master lessons at each level even if you won’t use them later on.” While research in neuroscience shows almost everyone’s brain is equipped to take up the challenge, many students fail at putting in the effort when they don’t score well on tests. The myth that math centers on procedures and memorization can make it easier for students to give up. Negative opinions about math ability conveyed by peers and parents can as well, such as declarations of not being “a math person.” This quote reveals exactly how students are put in the mindset of not trying to pursue a math job, and none go into that field. So why are high schools and middle schools still putting it in the curriculum if all it does is feed into the stress and anxiety that is already there because of the age you are?

Colleges have now stopped putting so much attention to dealing with SAT/ACT scores, so why is crazy, accelerated math still being taught if they are not completely taken into full account? According to one writer, “Unless you have a job that is math related, there is absolutely no point. You will never need these skills later in life especially since calculators exist, and it’s just a waste of time, and it fills your memory with useless information.”

What do you think? Should we be learning difficult math in school?